Thursday, January 14, 2010

Moving Beyond Step 1

How long do I have to stay at Step 1? It seems like I have been there for awhile. I admit that I am powerless over food and that my life has become unmanageable. I am ready to move on. I need that "came to believe that a Power greater than me can restore me to sanity". I have glimmers of hope in a few abstinent days but I still struggle. The first step is cold and slippery but I can do it with help. Which brings me to my next question: Why do I find it so hard to ask people for help? I don't have trouble asking for help if it is offered but it is very hard to ask. I am always afraid that I am disturbing that someone. So my goal today is phone my sponsor.

I know many people in recovery. "They flatly declare that since they have come to believe in a Power greater than themselves, to take a certain attitude toward that Power, and to do certain simple things, there has been a revolutionary change in their way of living andthinking... A new power, peace, happiness and sense of direction flowed into them." (Big Book pg 51)

"We found that as soon as we were able to lay aside prejudice and express even a willingness to believe in a Power greater than ourselves, we commenced to get results, even though it was impossible for any of us to fully define that Power." (Big Book pg 46)

I am priming myself for Step 2. I have Buddha, Dharma, Sangha to guide me. I have the fellowships of OA and AA to help me. I have sponsors, an AA sponsor and an OA sponsor. I just have to avail myself at the help at hand. Everything is within my grasp.

No comments:

Post a Comment